Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Gift

Once in our lives, we receive gifts,
Gifts of different sizes and shapes
With colorful ribbons, beautifully tied;
Cards neatly attached.

And the same thing did happened to me,
A gift was given unexpectedly
Without special occasion, for reason I don’t know;
And I swear, I’m not excited about it.

The gift has no appeal to me,
I’m afraid, it was given out of mockery;
With plain gift wrap, unartistically done,
And from my disgust, from an anonymous sender.

I opened it, I saw bitterness,
I became acquainted with cold and distant existence;
'Became familiar with grief and loneliness,
Coming from an aching heart.

As I examined the gift, I saw bandages,
A clear proof that it had survived so much wounds;
I’ve touched visible scars,
Some are healed, most are kept untreated.

I found myself nurturing it with words of encouragement,
Showering it with praises and motivation;
Keeping its company, morning and night,
Providing it with reasons to go on with life.

Still, I fight hard not to get attached to it,
But as time passed by, to care for the gift, I just can’t resist;
It’s so vulnerable, yet, struggling to appear strong,
And eventually, its happiness seem dependent on me.

I used to live a less fulfilling life,
Enveloped with selfishness, insensitivity and too afraid to get hurt;
The gift’s understanding, patience and maturity earned my trust and respect,
It has transformed me to become more human – able to care and love.

I believe, God sent me this gift,
For me to realize how special I am;
The gift I truly appreciate,
May it stay there for keeps!


December 01, 2005

Para kay J. at sa mapanlinlang niyang pagkatao. Maraming salamat. Madami akong natutuhan.

No comments: